Saturday, May 22, 2010

Why I Hate Alice Ripley- Exhibit B

Last month, in honor of Next to Normal's Pulitzer win, I posted the video of Alice Ripley's unabomber manifesto that masqueraded as a Tony acceptance speech. The moment may go down as the most awful, self indulgent, moment in awards show history.

Then as I was searching YouTube this morning to find Jason Danieley's amazing rendition of the song "What Kind of Fool Am I", this nugget showed up as a related video. Lock in your seat belts and be prepared to ride the Ripley crazy train





I have been breaking this video down frame by frame like it were the effing Zapruder film for the last 40 minutes and am left totally speechless. A few highlights for me

3:54- Was that a fart in the background
4:01- mumbling the line for the 82nd time as she puts on lip gloss
5:42- The creepy laughing
7:20- The eyes, ever so briefly, roll back into the head like the exorcist after she removes her glasses

Look, I studied acting with Kristen Linklater at Emerson College. i get all of the creepy acting techniques that are supposed to help you drill down to the emotional truth of the writing. What I don't get is posting a 10 minute video of it on a page that is supposed to be for your band. Interesting to note that I can't find any videos of Alice's band on this page because it's all videos of her doing weird stuff like this.

then again, I spent ten minutes on a Saturday watching it. So what does that say about me???

7 comments: